Explore Preah Vihear Temple
- Private, daily tour, off the beaten track tour
- Beng Mealea - Koh Ker - Preah Vihear and border area
- Panorama view over the Thai border from Preah Vihear Temple
- Age range
- under 87 year olds
Cambodia Travel arranges the 2 day trip to discover the famous Hindu temple located on the top of mountain by northern border of Cambodia Kingdom. The journey brings you to the less traveled area of Angkor – Beng Mealea, Koh Ker and Preah Vihear and border area.
ItineraryDownload PDF Brochure
Day 1: Siem Reap - Beng Mealea - Koh Ker
This morning, you will join us on an off-the-beaten-track excursion to Beng Mealea. Known as “Lotus pond” and dated early 11th Century by Suryavarman II, this Hindu styled temple was hidden in a maze of jungle for hundreds of years and just recently found and opened for visitors. On arrival at the site, you will climb over large sandstone blocks to reach the inner sanctuary and eerie worship corridor. Architecturally, Beng Mealea is noted for its innovative, in its time, construction of hallways. It was a very large temple with wide galleries foreshadowing Angkor Wat. Garudas, hold up an outer platform, finer in detail than those to be found out in the elements of the Elephant Terrace at Angkor Thom. Surprises of fallen lintels with intricate carvings lay amongst the fallen wall and roofs.
Continue over an hour drive, we get to Koh Ker, a 10th century capital abandoned in the remote north of Cambodia for more than a thousand years. Enjoy a visit to the pyramid temple of Prasat Thom. Continue to explore the many temples at this incredible site, including the beautiful Prasat Krahom covered by jungle.
Accommodations: Hotel in Preah Vihear.
Day 2: Explore Preah Vihear and border area - Siem Reap
Have breakfast in the hotel and we leave early heading north on the bumpy road to Preah Vihear. In some parts we got to use the special transfer to access Preah Vihear complex.
Once you get to the temple, enjoy the panorama view over the Thai border and discover the unique architectural complex of a series of sanctuaries linked by a system of pavements and staircases on an 800 meter long axis, is an outstanding masterpiece of Khmer architecture, in terms of plan, decoration and relationship to the spectacular landscape environment.
Situated on the edge of a plateau that dominates the plain of Cambodia, the Temple of Preah Vihear is dedicated to Shiva. Nevertheless, its complex history can be traced to the 9th century, when the hermitage was founded. This site is particularly well preserved, mainly due to its remote location. The site is exceptional for the quality of its architecture, which is adapted to the natural environment and the religious function of the temple, as well as for the exceptional quality of its carved stone ornamentation.
In the afternoon, we drive back to Siem Reap City. Tour ends.
• Accommodation in Preah Vihear
• Private tours, transfers and all services as mentioned in the itinerary
• Services of a private driver and air-conditioned vehicles
• Service of English speaking guides in every location
• Entrance fees for all mentioned sights visited
• Meals as mentioned in the itinerary
• Meals other than those mentioned in the itinerary
• Early check–in and late check–out at hotels.
• Personal expenses (such as laundry, telephone, drinks, etc.)
• Tips for guides and drivers
• Personal travel insurance
• Cambodia Visa (more at https://cambodiatravel.com/cambodia-visa/)